Friday, October 16, 2009

Pumpkin Butter


And old friend from college posted this on facebook the other day. So I gave it a whirl. It's quite good on toast. A lot like apple butter. I didn't get any pictures as I was making it. Next time I will take some and add them here.

Pumpkin Butter from Allison.

1/4 c brown sugar
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 c water
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 c pumpkin purée

put in pan on stove and cook over low heat until all comes together.

It took about an hour to cook. Allison tells me if you make a large batch (like triple it) to put it in the crock pot for the day and just keep checking it.



I took my cue from Allison and I bought a pumpkin and puréed it myself. It was easier than I thought. However I did buy a big pumpkin. I have read since then that for baking etc. you should buy a "pie pumpkin". They are smaller and sweeter. I think I will try that next time as I found the pumpkin butter a little tart at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment