Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Pork Chops with Spanish Rice

I started this blog as a place to post about my Grandma's recipe's. And I haven't made one yet. So when planning supper last night I went through her recipe box.
Now let me tell you something about my Grandma. She was well known for her baking. So while looking for supper recipes, there wasn't a whole lot to choose from. And mostly Grandma would make things like roast with mashed potatoes etc. And she has no recipes for those things. A lot of her recipes are things her daughters or daughters in law made that she wrote down. Almost every single one of her recipe cards has the name of who she got the recipe from.
Today's recipe was from Doris G. According to the card this recipe was in a cooking contest, and my Grandma wanted it.

Pork Chops with Spanish Rice
Brown Pork chops but do not cook, put them aside.

In a large fry pan (the same one you browned the pork chops in) place:
1 large onion chopped
1/2 cup uncooked rice (I used 1 cup, and then added 1/2 cup water since I had added extra rice)
1 Tbsp butter or margarine
Cook to a golden brown but do not burn

Add 20 oz canned or fresh tomatoes
Add a green pepper if you wish
Season with salt and pepper
1/4 tsp Savory

Lay Pork Chops on top with lid on.

Simmer 35-40 minutes.

Serve hot on platter.

It was good, but next time I think i will play around with the spices some. Made add some more Spanish flavour to it.

1 comment:

  1. Looks pretty and tasty too! I like the combo of flavors with the rice. I'm always looking for new pork chop recipes -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete