Friday, September 16, 2011

Green Tomato Bread

I came across this recipe at The Fajdich Times I thought it looked interesting so I gave it a try.

For the green tomatoes I grated them then put them in a colander with a bowl on top to drain the liquid.


Green Tomato Bread, adapted from the Fajdich Times

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and make a well in the middle.

3 eggs, beaten

1 cup sugar

1 cup grated green tomato, drained(3 to 4 medium tomatoes)

1 cup apple sauce/olive oil

1 teaspoon vanilla

I substituted applesauce for oil. I take a measuring cup and fill it with applesauce, then top it off with olive oil. Try to make it a bit healthier:)


Combine above ingredients and bowl and mix well. Pour into well in the flour bowl and stir together.



1 cup chopped, toasted pecans (I left these out.)

1 cup raisins, optional

Add raisins to mixture.

Pour into greased bread pan and bake at 350F for 1 hour.



And how did it taste? Delicious. And using apple sauce instead of oil did not make it too dry. It was still nice and moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment